Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

The good, the bad and the ugly!

As soon as the actresses and actors step onto the red carpet there is a chance for them to get an award. Best and worst dressed has been reported on now for years, with Joan Rivers having the harshest opinions on her E! show Fashion Police.

I have to admit, when I first, diligently, started watching the oscars, I didn't care about the red carpet. I would just tune in for the show, I thought a three hour show was long enough. But now my Oscar night starts at six when Ryan Seacrest is live from the red carpet. 

While the fashion changes every year there is usually a trend between all the women's gowns. It could be a trend of sequins, of a train, or of the colour or they could be totally different, this is where they take a chance being labeled a "hit or miss". Must be easy for the men, throw on a suit and they're done. 

Now, in my personal opinion there are always more "hits" then there are "misses". Yet no matter how many years pass everyone seems to agree that Julia Roberts' vintage Valentino dress she wore in 2001 was definitely a "hit". It reminded everyone of old Hollywood, bringing the black and white glamour to The Academy Awards. 
Just because a dress is infamous it doesn't make it a "hit" and I think that was made clear with Bjork's swan dress designed by Marjan Pejoski also in 2001. To this day I still don't know what she was thinking! 

I can't wait to see this years Oscar's fashion trends and what the big names will be wearing.  


4 comments:

  1. Honestly, I use to be like you and didn't care about the red carpet. But now it is what I look forward to the most, I could actually go without the awards and just stare at the gowns and be satisfied. I think my favourite part of the oscars actually takes place afterwards and it is "Fashion Police". I love Joan RIver's bluntness on celebrity outfits, she really cracks me up. Great post Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always end up seeing pictures from the Oscars in magazines regarding "who wore it better" and some of the celebrities get extremely criticized. The comments made can be a little humorous by the Fashion Police. I can also agree with the fact that the men have it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to watch the fashions. This year's were particularly lovely and some of them made me down right drool !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching what everyone wears on the Red Carpet, and I have to agree with Sloane that I could easily just watch that part of the event. My favourite thing I saw on this year was the one actress who was unsure who she was wearing and made someone check the tag. Not very professional of her, but I was entertained.

    ReplyDelete