Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Recognizing this years Best



Anyone who has watched The Academy Awards knows just how long of a show it can be. That's just because so many people deserved to be honoured and awarded with an Oscar and they have to get through all of them. As I've grown older I realized how much work it takes to make a movie, produce a movie, direct a movie, add special effects to a movie, and market a movie. While we probably go see a movie because of who is acting in it, it's not just the actors that deserve all the credit. 

At the first Academy Awards only 12 categories to win an award, in comparison to the 24 categories we have now, not including the special categories. We all know the biggies, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Best Actress in a Leading Role, Best Actress in a Supporting Role and Best Picture. Then comes the awards for music, directing, producing, costume, make-up, documentaries and more! 

Over the years there have been some categories that have been cut such as Best Assistant Director and Best Dance Direction but there have also been some that have been added. The last category to be added was Best Animated Feature in 2001 which went to Shrek

Every year I'm interested to see who gets nominated in each category and make my predictions whether or not they'll win or if they even deserved to be nominated in the first place. However, what I don't find fair about the categories at The Academy Awards are that all of these actors and actresses are lumped together whether their movie is comedy, drama, or sci-fi. My question is, how can the Academy judge everyone together when each part is such different acting?

Fun Fact: Beauty and the Beast was the first animated film to be nominated for Best Picture in 1991.

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa, I am consumed with movies and award shows. I love doing the same thing, making my own predictions, watching red carpets and yelling at the T.V. if I don't agree with the winners. I have to say, I totally agree about the judges, how can they do their job when the actors are in such different roles. I really enjoyed your blog, and can't wait to read some more.
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete