Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

After The Oscars

So now that the oscars are over, what did every one think of the winners?! Well I have one word for you, predictable! I had all the winners pegged down, next year I should put money down on the awards. The award I was most anxious to see given out was Actor in a Leading Role. After seeing Dallas Buyers Club I was 100 per cent convinced that Matthew McConaughey deserved the statue for his performance.



So how did Ellen DeGeneres do? The short answer, she did well. She had a solid opening monologue, funny jokes throughout the night, without going over the line, and while some bits went on a little long for my liking (the pizza bit), the group shot that Ellen posted on Twitter was one of the best parts of the night.

 
One of my biggest problems with this years Oscars is that it didn't have the big excitement shows in that past have. There was no big opening number and while there was signing throughout the show, it wasn't very exciting, it usually just consisted of the artist standing in one place and singing. I also found that the camera work was very sloppy and the lead ins and outs were very choppy. 


What surprised me about this years Academy Awards was that I liked all the fashion! There was nothing that was particularly disastrous, nothing that made me cringe. Lots of pastels, reds, blacks, whites (mostly the men), and shiny! 


Now that the 86th Academy Awards are over, they are no doubt already working on next years awards. The Academy has already announced that the 87th Academy Awards will be held February 22, 2015 at the Dolby Theatre. Only 352 days to go!

15 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the Oscars being somewhat predictable and uninspiring - while I liked Ellen's selfie, I thought the constant product placement was a bit over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright alright alright, there is so much you can say about the Oscars! Matthew MoConaughey's speech was well talked about over social media immediately after the show. As for Ellen, I thought she was a nice choice for the host this year. That selfie picture was actually a Samsung promotion and with every Twitter retweet, Samsung donated a dollar to charity. I thought that was amazing and really creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jennifer and Vanessa 100%. I'll be honest, I only watched half of the show because I didn't find it entertaining - I was bored and knew exactly what was going to happen next. I'm happy that I'm not the only one who found this year to be predictable. As much as I love Ellen I think they should have chosen someone new to host this year, this may have been the reason to why I was so uninterested in the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really watch the oscars. Like Harleen said, I don't find them entertaining. But after hearing the winners of this year's oscars I realized how few new movies I have seen this year. I really have to watch the films that were nominated this year, and stay in touch with next year's nominations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched most of the Oscars this year and also thought it was fairly predictable and unexciting. My favourite part was seeing all of the dresses and fashion choices, and I agree with you that nothing was particularly disastrous. Hopefully next year they make the ceremony a little more interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't able to watch the Oscars this year because I was travelling, but after your post I get the idea that I didn't really miss much! I'm with you, the Oscars should be kind of extragavant and over the top in the entertainment department. After all, isn't that they very thing they are celebrating? Great post Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will admit I didn't watch all of the Oscars this year, but I kinda wish I did. Usually I find them to stuffy for my tastes, but I think Ellen did a great job and made it more relaxed like a casual party. I mean that may just be me but that's how I thought. :)
    Good post :)
    Oh and Jennifer Lawrence falling again was pretty funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, and love all the comments it has inspired! I agree with the general sentiments, a little predictable but I really did enjoy Ellen's monologues and selfie. I will admit I really have not seen too many of the films that were nominated, but have always been a big Mathew McConaughey fan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to watch the Oscars this year because of sad situation in my motherland, but the speech by Jared Leto amazed me. I love him for his phenomenal music and Mr. Novbody movie. He is one more proof that a man can be perfect in many areas as long as he loves what he is doing. Such people inspire others to live :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't even get me started on Best Leading Actor! You know how I feel about Leo.. Matthew did have an amazing performance in Dallas Buyers Club, I'll admit that.
    But my heart will go on for Leo (get it?)
    And I competely agree- I didn't really point out any worst dressed stars! That's sometimes my favourite part of the red carpet. Well, except for Pharrell's dress-shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never watch an entire Oscars show but I do tune in for bits and pieces. This year, the only film I saw up for nomination was The Wolf of Wall Street, which I thought was AMAZING (Leo nailed that role) and am shocked that Leo once again failed to secure that elusive Oscar. That said, congrats to Matthew McConaughey for his victory. I guess I should check out Dallas Buyers Club at some point. Sounds like a pretty good film.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For everyone complaining about Leo's snub, I have two words:

    Gary Oldman.

    That is all.

    Keep up the great work, Vanessa!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought Ellen was a great presenter she made the whole affair so causal and really made the audience sitting at home watching feel like part of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just want to say how MAD I am (and will forever be mad) that leo didnt win!!!!!! So bitter about this! I did love Ellen hosting it! I love her - she did such a great job. Love this post Vanessa! (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with everyone's comments about entertainment.
    I do have to say that fashion was definitely one of the hottest topics of the week. Everyone looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete